Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to Play Funny Facebook Funny Games on an iPad

Using a Remote Desktop App to Play Facebook Games on an iPad

One other workaround that will let you play Facebook games on an iPad is using a remote desktop app. This way, you are remote controlling your desktop computer with your iPad, and the Flash is running on the computer not the iPad.

These are the Remote Desktop Apps I've tried so far: (only one so far--if I try other Remote Desktop apps, I'll update this.)
Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad - This was easy to get up and running by installing a client on my PC, then my iPad found my computer on the local network and I was able to connect to it after putting in my password. I haven't tried connecting to it outside of the home, or using 3G yet.

I was able to play some Facebook games using Splashtop Remote Desktop, but it wasn't as smooth of an experience as using iSwifter. It could be because my computer is a few years old. I liked that with Gardens of Time (Hidden object game) I was able to zoom in by using two fingers to expand or pinch, as you can't zoom in using iSwifter.

How to Play Facebook Games on an iPad - Workaround for not having Flash installed on iPad.

Are you wondering how to play Facebook games on an iPad? I sure was. When I got an iPad, I tried playing some of my favorite Facebook games, but they didn't work because they were flash games and iPads don't have a Flash Player installed. Besides the Facebook games that have their own apps, there are a couple workarounds for playing Facebook / Flash games on the iPad, and they of course don't involve Flash running directly on the iPad.

Facebook Game Apps for iPad

The best way to play a Facebook game on an iPad is with an app designed for that game. Some apps for games on Facebook are iPhone apps that you can still play on your iPad. I usually click the 2X button to make them fill up more of the screen even though the graphics don't look their best when doing that. Unfortunately, there are only a few Facebook games that have their own iPad app.

HD Facebook Game Apps for iPad:

FarmVille by Zynga - I hadn't played Farmville in some time, but started playing a little on the iPad because I thought it was awesome they made a Facebook app. The Farmville app for the iPad is free, and I hope that other Facebook game developers will follow suit!

SCRABBLE for iPad - the Scrabble game for the iPad lets you play Scrabble games with your Facebook friends but it costs money ($9.99 last time I checked. I have also seen it on sale for $4.99.) If you want to play Scrabble for free on the iPad against your Facebook friends, then you can install SCRABBLE Free that's made for the iPhone. It won't look as good but at least it's free!

Chess.com - the free chess.com app integrates with Facebook and Chess.com so you can play chess against your Facebook friends. I think I need to watch some of their chess videos first before I'm ready to play.

Non-HD Facebook Game Apps for iPad:

Bejeweled 2 + Blitz - I originally purchased this game for my iPod Touch so I could play Bejeweled Blitz on it and have it connect to Facebook. Now I play it on my iPad (at 2X size) and it's still fun! I think I may be getting better scores playing Bejeweled Blitz on my iPad, but maybe it's just that I have more experience playing it now.

Zynga Poker - This is a free app that you can connect with Facebook to play Zynga Poker on your iOS device. You can have it alert you when your Facebook friends sign on to play.

Using iSwifter to play Facebook Games on an iPad

iSWiFTER is an app you can get for the iPad to play Flash content including Facebook games. It streams flash content to your device from a cloud, so the Flash is running on the cloud and not on your iPad. It's the best workaround I've found so far for playing Flash games on an iPad. Currently, it only works over wi-fi but they have plans for future 3G support.

You can install iSwifter for free, but it's not really a free app. When I first tried iSwifter, it was free to install but it would let you play for 5 minutes and then cut you off. Now it seems they have a 7 day trial. Also, when I purchased iSwifter there was a one time upgrade fee of $2.99. iSwifter has changed to a subscription model where you'll have to pay $2.99 a month to continue using it. I feel lucky I purchased it when I did since I won't have to pay the monthly fee since it switched to the subscription model after I purchased it.

A few of the games I tested using iSwifter that it seemed to work okay with are: Cityville, Gardens of Time, Monopoly Millionaires, Farkle, and Pet Society (although running a race in Pet Society is a little laggy and sometimes it's slow to use the arrow to go to another part of a room). Unfortunately, iSwifter does not work well for playing my favorite Facebook game, Zuma Blitz, on the iPad. The frog would shoot balls in the wrong direction and I also couldn't figure out how to right click to swap to a different colored ball. To effectively play Zuma Blitz on an iPad, I will just have to wait until Popcap makes a Zuma Blitz app for the iPad like they did with Bejeweled Blitz. I have no idea if or when that will happen though. I think that most Facebook games will probably work using iSwifter on the iPad, unless they are fast paced games like Zuma Blitz.

iSwifter does have a few annoyances--it doesn't seem to use cookies so if you use it to play Facebook games, you'll have to login to Facebook each time you open the app (even if you check the box for it to remember you.). It also doesn't remember where you were when you close the app. I was playing a Facebook game and accidently pressed the button on my iPad and the app closed, then when I reopened iSwifter, I had to log in to Facebook again.

You can Bookmark Facebook apps using iSwifter, but I like to go to Facebook first using a secure connection and log in, then I go to the bookmark for the game I want to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment