Sunday, August 14, 2011

What Can An iPad Do That My Laptop Cannot?

Is an iPad More Than a Shiny Toy?


I have both an iPad and a laptop computer. I use them everyday. I wouldn't trade in my laptop for an iPad, but I certainly wouldn't want to do without my iPad now that I have it.

I was asked a question the other day, "What can an iPad do that Laptop cannot?"

It's a great question and I've been thinking about it a lot. I have a bunch of answers, so read on my friend and hear my views on why you should have this Shiny (not a) Toy.

Durability

I have not had the best of luck with laptops. It seems that I am not that graceful. I've replaced more hard drives on laptops than I've had manicures I'm sure. The beauty of the iPad is that it has flash memory. That's solid state, no moving parts. So if, for some reason, I should accidentally spike it onto the library floor (not that I've ever done that mind you) my hard drive wouldn't crater.

For someone as charming, but graceless, as I am, this is a huge check mark in the plus column.

Portability

I have 3 e-book apps on my iPad; Kindle, Kobo and of course iBooks. I read 12 books in 3 weeks when I first got it. I would never read 12 books on my laptop, I wouldn't even read one. I can't imagine curling up in bed to read on my laptop. Or to watch TV for that matter (I'm making my way through The Tudors on Netflix now). My laptop gets slow and cranky streaming video, but my iPad is so smooth, and portable, did I mention it's portable?

It's really portable. Last time I went for a haircut I took it with me so the kids could finish their Monopoly game while I was getting washed and trimmed. I would never do that with my laptop.

Creativity

FlamingoI don't use my laptop to fingerpaint (the screen would never be the same) but I can do that on the iPad. I have painted some amazing things on my iPad, doodled some too. I take it with me when I take the kids to swimming lessons and make fun little sketches while I'm waiting for them. Some of them are good enough to put in my Cafe Press shop.

There are more art apps for the iPad than I can name here. I've only tried 10 so far.

Peace of Mind

And finally there is economics, my iPad cost me $500 and my MacBook air cost me $1400. When I choose which one I'm going to schlep back and forth on the train to school, I would rather take the less expensive (and very functional) one knowing that if something really horrific happened I could replace it more easily than my laptop. Also because it syncs to my lap top all the work I do is still safe and sound at home.

Final Word (sort of)

My iPad doesn't replace my laptop, it doesn't do everything. It almost does, but for lots of typing and editing the laptop is still king. That being said, I can't imagine not having it now that I do have it.

You Know You Want One

Apple iPad 2 MC769LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi, Black) NEWEST MODEL

Amazon Price: (as of 08/13/2011)
I've already written a whole page about why this is such a great product. But here is one more thing. I took my iPad back and forth to university every day. I wrote all my essay's on it. Edited all my pictures for art class on it. Checked my university e-mail, collaborated with my classmates, and studied for Art History on it, read my books for English Class on it, and I got a 4.0 GPA. Do you think I would have wasted my time with something that wouldn't do what I needed it to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment